Saturday, August 27, 2011

Sophomoric attempt...

For my next trick, I will emulate the hurricane of an undisclosed bar, sometimes called Pattie O.'s...

The difficult thing here is that there are more than a few that will tell you this used to be a thing of loveliness (even if not strictly traditional). A fruit-punchy orgy of rums competing to put you to bed (or at least IN bed). I swear on my vibrator, they used to have a female attendant in the bathroom who described the bulk of her job as letting girls know how much rum is in the drinks and holding hair back.

Now many who like to have this argument seem to boil it down to the days when your glass would have frozen condensation, as opposed to the wet condensation you get now (when did "wet" stop being a fun adjective?)--all of which is supposed to relate to alcohol content.

Here is what I did: Start with fruit punch and add the lore I have heard over the years.

The Down and Dirty:
1.5 oz. White rum
1.5 oz. Dark rum
4.5 oz. Fruit punch (I used Kool-aid, because I am a BAMF)
1 oz. Bacardi 151

Mix the first 3 in a glass. Fill almost to full with crushed ice. Float the 151. Garnish with orange slice and cherry. If you are fucking psycho for straws (esp. bendy straws) like me, add a straw.

Place in front of pretty flowers from the Jsun...


Here is the secret (which convinces me passion fruit is the KEY...there is no passion fruit, only Zool):

Before I did the floater (because if you stir again, it isn't really a floater, is it?), I tasted it. Good. Tasty even. But a bit flat. So? I added 1 oz. of the passion fruit syrup (the one I made from the juice)...MAGIC MOTHER FUCKERS! Holy punk monkeys!

Then I floated the 151.

For the record, I got a SERIOUSLY frozen condensation. Over, and over, at each level of drinkage.

I don't know if I will be able to type for the next drink...Also, I am trying to make meatballs.

P.S. FYI: I am not trying to make fun of hurricanes, and certainly not those hit hard by them, but I have never been through one before. This was the best way I knew how to cope.

No comments:

Post a Comment